Programs of Study
Family Nurse Practitioner
The program prepares family nurse practitioners (FNPs) with specialized knowledge and clinical competency to practice as licensed independent practitioners across the lifespan. FNPs practice in ambulatory, acute, and long-term care as primary and/or specialty providers to individuals, families, and groups. The UNH program prepares these advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) to diagnose and manage acute episodic and chronic illnesses across the life span and simple to complex continuum. Health promotion, disease prevention, teaching, counseling, and coaching are emphasized. The capstone course, NURS 939, is the final integrated clinical practicum. At the completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for national certification as a family nurse practitioner. Students are also prepared to enter doctoral study. Upon licensure, FNPs may practice autonomously as well as in collaboration with other health professionals.
- 900, The Discipline of Nursing, 3 cr.
- 901, Nursing and Change in Health Services, 3 cr.
- 960, Translating Research for Evidence Based Practice, 3 cr.
Specialty courses are as follows:
Family Nurse Practitioner Program:
- 810, Families in Health and Illness, 3 cr.
- 907, Advanced Pharmacology, 3 cr.
- 908, Clinical Application of Human Physiology, 3 cr.
- 909, Health and Illness Appraisal, 3 cr.
- 925, Health Care Systems and Leadership, 3 cr.
- 935, Primary Care of Families I, 3 cr.
- 936, Practicum in the Primary Care of Families I, 3 cr. (168 clinical hours)
- 937, Primary Care of Families II, 3 cr.
- 938, Practicum in the Primary Care of Families II, 3 cr. (168 clinical hours)
- 939, Seminar and Practicum in the Primary Care of Families III, 6 cr. (336 clinical hours)
- 944, Population Health Promotion and Risk Reduction, 3 cr.
951, Clinical Epidemiology and Decision Analysis, 3 cr.
Total Credits: 48
- Academic Programs
- Undergraduate Program
- R.N. Baccalaureate Program
- Graduate Program
- Direct Entry Master’s in Nursing
- Post-Master’s FNP Certificate Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Nursing Home
- Major Declaration
- STTI Honor Society
- Contact Us