Occupational Therapy Honors - in- Major Program
The Occupational Therapy Honors-in-Major program is designed to foster advanced intellectual development of students through seminars, classes and research activities. Participants in the program report that it has enhanced their independent thinking and communication skills, and enabled them to extend their learning beyond what is offered in their regular classes.
Eligibility and Course Requirements
Eligibility: Students with a minimum of 3.4 or over GPA are eligible for honors-in-the-major coursework. Students must consult with their OT faculty advisors about their plan for completion of honors-in-the major.
Requirements: A total of 16 honors course credits must be completed to receive “honors in major” designation. These credits must be completed by the end of the student’s senior year (year 4 of the BS/MS program). Student must complete 12 credits of OT honors course work. Three courses are required of all honors students:
- OT 685 Psychosocial Dysfunction, honors designation
- OT 741 Human Occupation, honors designation
- OT 791 Honors Thesis; Students are required to complete a research project as part of OT 791H which meets the departmental requirements of an honors thesis.
The fourth course may be selected from other 500 level and above honors courses offered by the OT Department or by the UNH Honors Program. In addition to the OT honors courses listed above, OT 501 Adult Development typically offers an honors section.
Because the senior year is a very busy year with 16 or more credits per semester, and is the first year in the Professional Program, students who plan to complete Honors in the Major will be granted permission to take OT 741 first semester Junior Year and OT 610 in the sophomore year. This will enable them to take OT 791 first semester senior year. Therefore the suggested sequence of courses is as follows:
- Freshman/Sophomore Year: Complete OT 501H or one honors program course from another department at the 500 level or above. Note that any 500 level honors course taken for this requirement cannot be used to fulfill both an honors general education and an honors-in-major course requirement. Complete OT 610.
- Junior Year: Fall semester, OT 741H (need permission, discuss with academic advisor); OT 685H
- Senior Year: OT 791H, first semester
**Students completing the UNH Honors Program must complete 4 Honors courses including a 444 Inquiry course, in addition to meeting Honors in the Major requirements.
Shelley Mulligan, Ph.D., OTR/L
Associate Professor and Chair
- Major Declaration
- Contact Us